Sunday, August 23, 2009

Issa's Sunday Service, #17







Here's a tip of the hat to the end of summer by way of one heck of an obscure psych band from the 60's, Fever Tree. The literary reference is even more obscure; not many folks break out the Thomas Hardy referenced rock songs, then, now, or ever. It's one of those tunes you listen to 3 or 4 times though and you just can't stop.

I've been listening to it for over 35 years.


*********************************************************

Here's a pair of poems from issue #23, back in 1991, that complement each other well. Enjoy.



fear

the root
of all prophecy
Charlie Mehrhoff







Flat Lands

Fear of isolation comes
with the territory.

This meditation breeds tornadoes.
Paul Hadella







the newly arrived goose
lifts one leg...
deep meditation
Issa
translated by David Lanoue






best,
Don


The full list of songs, plus links, from Issa's Sunday Service ...

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Definitely a weird but interesting little song. I don't think I've ever heard of Fever Tree.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Charles, definitely as obscure as they get, though I found out that this one charted at #91 on Billboard back in the 60's. Their single claim to fame, but it continues to pop up on collections of 60's stuff.

Ed Baker said...

hec UHAUL just "keep on truckin'"

I'm still 'digging' what of Anne Sexton's I have never seen/read before!

Beginning the Hegira

in her 45 Mercy Street

(I did a poem, in 1970 I called Hegira and know Mercy Street


so


I really got/get lost in her "waves"

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Ed,

I've been reading her all summer and have lost any critical faculty, simply as you note immersed in her works ... oddly I started with her posthumous books and have come around and am just finishing up her third book, Live or Die, which suddenly has hit its pace and every poem is luminous in a way only she could write. Odd, luminous, to describe her, but that's it ... her ground wire is directly jacked in to the essence ...