Sunday, September 5, 2010

Who Wrote Holden Caulfield: Issa's Sunday Service, #68

Artwork by Carmela Alvarado





I received a number of suggestions for the Sunday Service this week and so free issues of Lilliput Review are winging their way out to folks (what's up with that?) .  I thought I'd feature one of those suggestions to encourage people to keep 'em coming.

Here's is Green Day's homage to J. D. Salinger's legendary anti-hero, Holden Caulfield.  Does it capture the breadth and depth of the decrying of all things phony?  Nope, not even close.  Is it a rock song, does it capture a certain something about one of literature's greatest j.d.'s?  Yup, hence slack duly given.

Actually, good ol' Jerome has been on our collective minds of late with this intimate bit of memorabilia going up for auction recently.

Not up your street, you say?  Well, along with the above song, here is a nicely energized live version to take away all the nasty thoughts.  Sort of .

Enjoy.






                           





------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's feature poem comes from Lilliput Review, #101, January 1999. Touched as it is by memory, it's an appropriate end of summer poem. Enjoy.



at seventeen
I remember how dark the sky was
over my little home town
how warm the hood of Dad's '68 Fairlane
against my narrow back as I lay there
gazing up at the Milky Way all those
bright crowded stars strewn up there
so carelessly so abundantly for me
like a million easy choices
every one so easy to see
Michael R. Battram




Oh, here's another from 101 for luck, capturing the feel of the cool breeze that has broken the heat wave here and hints at things to come:





still life with poet
to touch a leaf, its
veins, to catch
a cloud, an edge of land
to pin it down
forever, a web, a wing
a rush of cold
Lonnie Hull Dupont







How lovely it is
To look through the broken window
And discover the Milky Way
Issa





best,
Don

PS  Get 2 free issues     Get 2 more free issues     Lillie poem archive

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I must be the only person who didn't like Holden Caufield. I couldn't stand that book, mainly because I disliked the character so much.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Charles,

I'm sure you're not along in this. Though it struck a universal chord of a certain type of youthful rebellion, it is of a certain place and time. Also the first person narration is sometimes deceptive for high school students. When I reread it years after high school, I realized how much denser it was than I had originally assumed.