Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy Birthday, Happy New Year w/ Country Joe




Farfissa alert!

I never like to let New Years Day go by, though I often do, without celebrating the birthday of Country Joe McDonald.  The above is a video with all the glories and all the faults of that briefest of windows in our culture and musical history - flower power, baby!  The song, "Not So Sweet Lorraine," is a subtle send up of the classic jazz/blues tune of similar title, and the Fish song was an early selection on Issa's Sunday Service.

Barry Melton's smoking lead guitar is a joy to listen to, and in this case, behold.




New Year's morning:
the ducks on the pond
quack and quack.
Issa




best,
Don

PS  Get 2 free issues     Get 2 more free issues     Lillie poem archive

Go to the LitRock web site for a list of all 83 songs
Hear all 83 (or so) at once on the the LitRock Jukebox


4 comments:

bandit said...

Ha ha ...knew a girl like that lived next door. One interaction, and I warned everyone off.

Of course, my brother-in-law just had to take a run at it.

The story becomes tragic from here on out - well, some might say.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Indeed, the male version is even more horrific - there is something in our destiny that seems to attract some of us to the (un)appropriate counterpart.

The 60s certainly had a proliferation of characters of this sort, CJ capturing it perfectly.

Don

Lyle Daggett said...

First time I ever heard of Country Joe and the Fish was when I saw the movie Woodstock (summer of 1970), heard them sing the "I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die-Rag." After I got the soundtrack album, I learned the words to the song, and it became one of the anthems of my life during those years (I was in high school at the time).

Clearly I need to listen to more of their music.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Lyle:

There are lots of compilation albums of Country Joe and the Fish, particularly "The Life and Times of Country Joe and the Fish" and "The Collected Country Joe and the Fish", but if you had to chose one album, I'd say "Electric Music for the Mind and Body".

A close 2nd for individual albums would be "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' to Die," which has the song you memorized and a few other very memorable numbers.

Of course, if you picked up "Electric" and "Life and Times" you'd be covered all around.

Don