Sunday, April 25, 2010

Shakespeare's Sister: Issa's Sunday Service, #49






For the return of the Issa's Sunday Service, it's the first appearance of a band with as many literary pretensions as one can have: the fabulous The Smiths. This tune's only litrock element is the allusion to the Bard in the title; otherwise, the lyrics are pure unrequited Smith's kinda love.

Enjoy.


----------------------------------


This week's feature poem is from Lilliput Review #73, November 1995.




¶ever catch a glimpse of a stone breathing?
-almost a burden.
Scarecrow







humidity--
from beneath a stone
wildflowers

Issa
translated by David G. Lanoue


best,
Don

4 comments:

Ed Baker said...

neat link/poems and
I just can-not resist:

stone girl
in the bushes
peeing

and

full moon
I think I'm in love
with a rock

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Ed, you're prescient, just seconds before I read from LR #53

Pissing and trembling -
laugh at me crickets
Issa

Don ...

Ed Baker said...

yeah yeah but I
didn't remember the poem as it was...with more of a narrative that "thickens the plot/stew"

Stone Girl
in her garden
peeing

I think that it would be a terrific "giggle" (for me) to be back and forth bandying "shorties" with Issa ... rat-tat-tat
rat-tat-tat

or, even Ikkyu

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Of course, you didn't remember it, just a synchronicity kind of thing ...

A back and forth with Issa/Ikky and Baker sounds like just the ticket ...