Friday, February 8, 2013

Silent Flowers 3: Four Poems

Artwork by Nanae Ito


This is the third post on the diminutive little Hallmark haiku collection Silent Flowers. I revisited this book last month, taking a look at 6 poems that I hadn't talked in my first post back in 2010.  Here are 4 more excellent poems from Silent Flowers, translated by R. H. Blyth and astutely selected by Dorothy Price, that haven't appeared in either post.

The first three all appear within a page of each other, and seem to focus on a single image, the smaller the better:

    The kitten
Holds down the leaf,
    For a moment.
            Issa

Here is a fine example of the exception to the rule, the rule being: show, never tell. Well, perhaps the reason it works is that it does a bit of both. 



     You can see the morning breeze 
Blowing the hairs 
     Of the caterpillar.
                          Buson
  
I would say with the layout we can feel the morning breeze though we can't see it, particularly in the fine opening line (which, of course, breaks yet another rule). 


    Grasshopper, —
Do not trample to pieces 
    The pearls of bright dew. 
           Issa
  
The observation in the later two poems is so finely delineated as to be absolutely marvelous.  Each does what a ku should do - captures a perfect little moment; yet in this case all three share another quality. These are not pictures painted, or photos snapped: they are all moments in motion, the movement acutely emphasizing the fleeting quality of a moment, yet capturing it in that movement.

Magicians at work.

A few more pages along comes a 4th ku, and this one captures not just the body and mind, but the soul: 

Yield to the willow
All the loathing, all the desire
Of your heart
              Bashō

 I yi yi yi! We are yielding to the willow, we are yielding to desire, we are yeilding to loathing, we are yielding to our heart ...

Let us yield to Bashō. 

At this rate, I have a feeling there will be a 4th post on Silent Flowers.


----------





the village child
clutching the willow
sound asleep
Issa
translated by David G. Lanoue




 


And, of course, yield to the raven.





best,

Don
  


Send a single haiku for the Wednesday Haiku feature. Here's how.

Go to the LitRock web site for a list of all 156 songs

8 comments:

Ed Baker said...

first learn the rules
then break the rules
be-come entirely

such few lines deftly
have pinned-down every
thing on that erotic
weeping willow


another refreshing post D.W.

Mary Ahearn said...

It's been a rough day here- and I don't mean the weather- these haiku made it much better. Magicians for sure. And the crow/raven in the wavy willow, beautiful. The peace of yielding.
Thank you, thank you. Sincerely.
Mary

Charles Gramlich said...

I think I like the grasshopper one the best but all these are pretty neat.

Greg said...

Don, thanks for the enlightenment. Haven't seen this collection before, I have another Hallmark volume from around the same time, but I'm going to order it now.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Ed:

Ah, the lessons we learn after we learn our lessons. Blyth's deftness in rendering akin to Nanae Ito's delicate strokes.

Don

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Mary:

So glad these little poems and artwork gave a lift on a tough day.

The peace of yielding, indeed. Hope things have improved.

Don

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

The precision of the grasshopper and the precision of the poet - all is one, Charles.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Greg:

These Blyth translations are stunning and I give credit to Dorothy Price for her fine eye in selecting from Blyth huge cache.

Don