Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Big Glitch and a Few Poems



Cover, w/tea stain, by Albert Huffstickler

* The above image was added afterwards, making some of what follows obsolete. *

Well, the year is starting out with a different kind of bang, not exactly one I'd hoped for or anticipated. With one issue in the rear view, another popped up immediately before I could get out of the way: computer problems.

I can't really figure out what is going on at the moment. I've been running all kind of diagnostics but the best I can sort out is that it must be some kind of virus. I can surf at the moment and minimally check email and blogger, but I don't seem to be able to upload images and when posting occasionally get broken connection messages. This may take awhile to sort out and things could be intermittent at best for the next little while.

Since today is Archive Tuesday, I'm going to try to post a few poems without the cover image. This week's trip into the past arrives at April 1994, issue #55. The further we go back in time, the wordier the work, if still limited to 10 lines. My evolution, as editor and just plain folk, is evident, at least to me. Enjoy.





Inside Spring

A robin walks across
a quiet street, as if
there's a choice.

K. Shabee








Summer

shining shining
black crow strutting
open-beaked
across the dried crumbling
street

Michael Estabrook










a new eden

time to chase god
out of the garden, restore
forests, listen again
to a wisdom of serpents
to voices of trees,
time to take on
all that terrible
knowing

Will Inman








Painting

The feeling
jumps
from deep
inside
your gut
to canvas
in a lump
of red
which will be
someone else's
sun

Suzanne Bowers










Cafe Poem


The woman in
the corner,
white on black,
white skin,
black hair,
black dress,
lights a
long, white
cigarette,
the orange flame
bright
against her cheek.

Albert Huffstickler



Looking these over, I notice I chose the most minimal, so it doesn't appear much different than usual. You'll have to trust me on the wordiness part.

I'll keep plugging away at this end, but this computer thing doesn't have a good feel. I've got all the files for Lilliput saved to a separate portable hard drive so, if I've got clean the whole disk and start from scratch, it is doable, if painful.

More soon ...


Hopefully.

Don

PS If the print size is minuscule, I apologize. See aforementioned glitch. This is my second shot at posting this; the first put an early, incomplete draft up.

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

That Inman piece is particularly interesting. We had a little computer glitch on Sunday when our router went out. Lana got it fixed, though. Hope things work out with your problems.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Inman, Huff, Estabrook... I get misty

now I KNOW Gary Inman! he came to teach around here.. mid to ealy-to later 60's ...


NOOOOO it was WILL INMAN!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Inman_(poet)


maybe your computer troubles due to Windows and Microsoft? maybe switch to Linux/Unix/Umbutu and p-c (IBM))?

hang in


Ed



is Gary his son?

Greg said...

hope you get the computer problems taken care of. i've had plenty of those recently. one good tool to download is Yahoo CA Anti-Spy... it may or may not get rid of whatever you have, but it should be able to identify it so at least you know what you're working with.

Anonymous said...

I like all of these poems, particularly the Huffstickler!
Sanford Fraser