Friday, June 5, 2009

Dancing With the Wind





Well, according to the website Bashō's Road, Friday is bragging time around Lilliput Review: I'll let them do the honors and say thank you very much for a wonderful layout and a nice selection of work.

And, if you'll pardon the lack of humility for just a tad longer, Poet Hound has also posted some kind words and a great selection of recent work from a recent issue of Lillie: check it out.

You know, sometimes you need a little lift and that was just the ticket.

On to other, equally celebratory things. The week has almost passed without the acknowledgment of the birthday of one of greatest of 20th century poets, Allen Ginsberg, so it's time to correct that. Here's a couple of short ditties from the rareish chapbook Sad Dust Glories, from Workingmans Press:




Walking uphill woolen
------bag of letters on right
-----------------shoulder
garbage pail left hand



***************************



Talking about fairies–
-----dragon fly
-----wings buzzing
-----------against the wall



***************************




Acorn people
------in kerosine lamplight
-----------reading newspapers



For the persnickety, kerosine is the poet's spelling, bless him.

And since all this puts me in a dancing kind of mood, let's remember the anniversary of the passing of Bo Diddley like so:







the tea smoke
and the willow
dance partners
Issa
translated by David Lanoue



best,
Don

4 comments:

Ed Baker said...

well
neat

and

a fine
ditty-wah-ditty to UHAUL

(Diddy Wah)
(A-diddy Wah)

(Diddy Wah)
I gotta gal down in Diddy Wah Diddy
(Diddy Wah)
Ain't no town an it ain't no city
(Diddy Wah)
She loves her man, just is a pity
Crazy 'bout my gal in Diddy Wah Diddy

(Diddy Wah)
This little girl is sweet as she could be
(Diddy Wah)
I know she's in love with me
(Diddy Wah)
A lovely face, she's so pretty
(Diddy Wah)
But she's still way down in Diddy Wah Diddy

(Diddy Wah, Diddy Wah, Diddy)
(Diddy Wah, Diddy Wah, Diddy)
(Diddy Wah, Diddy Wah, Diddy)
Ain't no town, an it ain't no city
But oh, how they love in Diddy Wah Diddy)

(Diddy Wah)
(Diddy Wah)
(Diddy Wah)

(Diddy Wah)
She kissed me all the time
(Diddy Wah)
She gonna turn me outta my mind
(Diddy Wah)
Anything, she says she's ready
(Diddy Wah)
Run right back to Diddy Wah Diddy
(Diddy Wah)
(Diddy Wah)
(Diddy Wah)
(Diddy Wah)

Ain't no town, ain't no city
Lord, how they love in Diddy Wah Diddy)

(Diddy Wah)
(Diddy Wah)

FADES-
Diddy Wah

~

Basho s Road a neat site nice feature re lilie


I could say more but I am looking for my Bromige stash... his books

he once said to me "Ed? I have an Uncle Ed."

Brian said...

The world can always use more reminders of Ginsberg's short poems. I was not familiar with Sad Dust Glories. Thanks for sharing.

Charles Gramlich said...

Excellent review.

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Uncle Ed, one of those synchronistic moments, I happened to be listening to a box set of Bo Diddley from the library last week and, lo, Diddy Wah Didday, which in some huge cultural blindspot, I hadn't realized was by Mr. D. Duh! And you go ahead give it to me full blast ... many thanks, as always ...

Brian, glad to turn you to something from ol' Allen and Charles, thanks ... much appreciated.