Sunday, June 28, 2009

Issa's Sunday Service, #10






This week's LitRock number on Issa's Sunday Service is the Beatles's I Am the Walrus, which takes the title character from Lewis Carroll's "The Walrus and the Carpenter" poem from the Alice book Through The Looking Glass. There is also the reference to Poe and the infamous fadeout ending with a recitation of King Lear courtesy of a BBC broadcast that happened to be on sometime during the recording sessions . Lennon was hitting all the stops on this one. Here's the lyrics.

This week's featured poem on the count up from Lilliput Review #1 comes from issue #16, October 1990. Enjoy.





A Short Poem
A short poem
should reach
at least
the left hand of God.

Daniel McCaffrey











from this year on
in my left hand, umbrella-hat
in the right, knapsack

Issa
translated by David Lanoue






best,
Don

5 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

the left hand of God. I like that. makes me wonder, of course, if the left hand of God hangs lower than the right hand, and if so why?

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Not sure, seems righties always lead with their left ... then again, with the big G maybe we're talking tentacles here ...

Anonymous said...

As a rightie with several leftie friends throughout my personal history, I'd like to express solidarity toward the lefty movement.

"Right ain't always right,"

and so, and so...

-A. Scott Britton

Issa's Untidy Hut said...

Hey, there, A. Scott, good to hear from the lefty contingent. Next time I write to Dan McCaffrey, I'll have to check in with him on this ...

Don

Ed Baker said...

say A.Scott glad to see
y'all yet around...


still near here via The Red Line?

just looking around for (I think you did it) a
dictionary...? cldn't find it but i did find Childers' 1875 Dictionaty of the Pali Language (a facsimile, 2003)

which I am into his Preface

and all of the KAM words...

am righting with my write hand scrolling with my left